Tuesday 8 March 2011

30 Days of Music-Day 4- A song that makes you sad.


My friend Magay died when I was 18. Magay was also my sister's Mother-in-law; she was bi-polar and she committed suicide. During the 60's Magay had been a hippie in the truest sense of the word and my hippie-teenager self adored her.

Her funeral was held the same day as my high school graduation. I went to graduation, went home for lunch and then went to the Handlebar to pay her tribute. Her husband had made the urn her ashes were in and her artwork was on display. People took turns telling stories about her. I didn't have any tissues and by the end of the service my shirt sleeves were covered in tears and snot.

My sister and I both loved Ben Harper and we chose this song to be played. I can't listen to it anymore.

No comments: