Sunday 7 August 2011

Simon Pegg's Nerd Do Well

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Simon Pegg doesn't like to talk about himself. He really doesn't and tells you straight from the start. So how does a memoir written by someone who guards their privacy work? Well, surprisingly well. Pegg waxes nostalgic a lot about his childhood and how his belief in chaos theory- all the interests he had and choices he made- brought him to the point he is at now.

But in my opinion, the book shines when Pegg talks about the things he loves. Like Star Wars and zombie movies, and being a fan of those myself (who also studied film theory as a major at university) it was hands down the best part. Honestly, if Pegg just decided to write a book about films and general geekdom it probably would have been a more interesting read.

Because there was some disappointment. It took so long for him to finally start writing about his professional career, and when he finally did it was highly glossed over quickly and then the book ended. As a huge fan of both Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, I think he could have written more about those times without pointing the finger at anyone who maybe was less than stellar to work with.

Gossip-y Hollywood Memoir it is not. Which was nice, but there wasn't a lot of substance as far as his professional career is concerned either. Oddly enough, when it was over I didn't feel like I had wasted my time, I kinda just wanted to sit down the pub and talk Star Wars.



No comments: