Tuesday 1 January 2013

2012 Book List

Hands down, this was my worst year of reading that I can recall. It was nearly impossible for me to hold my focus on anything enough to finish. I think I have 4 or 5 books I'm halfway through at the moment. The year before I completed 50 read books/graphic novels. So this year I set a goal of 55. I came in with 24 of 55 read,  11 of which were graphic novels. Not good, people. So this year, reading is going to become a top priority for me again. It's something that is so tied to who I am and how I identify myself...I feel so disappointed in myself (which I think is probably something only a book worm could identify with).

My GIANT HUGE EXCEPTION to all of this though, is that I haven't included children's books. I read to Oz a lot. He gets 3-5 books at bedtime every night and we like to rotate out loads, and we buy him books all. the. time. The kid loves books and we are really encouraging a love of reading. So what I've lacked in myself, I feel I've more than made up for as a parent. I really should start reviewing our favorite children's books, because there are so many fantastic ones out there. Oz's favorite of all time is Dinosaur Roar, which while he doesn't speak very clearly, he can "read" the entire book to YOU. Amazing.

So here's what I read in 2012:
1. Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breast

2. A Year Without 'Made In China': One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Sara Bongiorni

3. Batman: Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb

4. I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

5. Walking Dead #9 Here We Remain

6. Walking Dead #10 What We Became

7. Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes by Karl Kesel

8. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

9. This Books is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson

10. The Addams Family: An Evilution by Charles Addams

11. French Milk by Lucy Knisley

12. The Birth House by Ami McKay (possibly my favorite of the year)

13. Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

14. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mandy Kaling

15. Then Again by Diane Keaton

16. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

17. Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1. Broken Bat by Doug Moench

18. The Visable Man by Chuck Klosterman

19. Walking Dead #11 Fear the Hunters

20. Night by Elie Wiesel

21. Batman: Knightfall Vol. 2 Who Rules the Night by Doug Moench

22. Walking Dead #12 Life Among Them

23. Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural Holiday of Halloween by David Skal

24. Walking Dead #13 Too Far Gone

We also got some great use out of the library this year, so that's always a plus. Reading this list and sharing it, I want to comment on so many of them. So I will try and make an effort to comment on them on goodreads and share here.

And while I should be saving this for the Resolutions blog, I will go ahead and share the big challenge Griff and I have set for ourselves this year.

This year we aren't going to be buying books. If we've discovered anything this year it's that we have been hoarding books and it's slightly ridiculous. We could probably go 2+ years and read something "new" to us and still have some leftover. Seriously. It's ridiculous. So we need to read what we have and save some money (although everything we buy is used anyways). Of course, the exception is Oz's books. Oz gets books. And while I think trading in for store credit should be fair game, Griff disagrees. So we'll see. AND Salem's Lot. If I find a new one, that goes towards the collection.

So here's hoping 2013 is THE YEAR OF THE BOOK.

No comments: