Thursday 13 September 2012

Name Change Game

Today I went to the DMV to update my address on my license. No biggie...honestly. It's wasn't. It took 15 minutes tops. I was impressed. AND my new picture is really good! AND I became an organ donor. I had sort of a mind block about that for years, and today I just ticked the box and thought nothing more of it.

I texted my sister to tell her about my great picture and she replies "So did you change your name?"

For a brief moment at the DMV I will admit; I considered it. But I couldn't be bothered. And I guess that's the truth of the matter. I can't be bothered to change my name.

When we married, it would have cost me a small fortune to pay for a new passport and visa, and at that point, I just did not want to spend the money. We were married, that was all that mattered. Griff has even said, he never expected me to change my name. I think once we had Oscar he thought I might, but now it's become more of a curiosity as to why I haven't done it.

I don't love my maiden name. It's difficult to pronounce and I always have to spell it. It's not a great name, but it's the one I have. I've been hyphenated before, and I'm not keen to do that again either. Then you have to spell 2 names instead of one.

I have Griff's surname on facebook as just show that we are married. It was exciting when we got married, but I tell you now, that is the ONLY place where we share a last name. I do not have one official document with what would be my married name.

It led to a great convo with Griff about names tho. I don't have an aversion to his name. I don't have a great love for my name. But it appears that I do have attachment. It's the only name I've ever had, and for one reason or another, not one that I can easily define and put a finger to, I do not want to change it. I don't understand why we, as women, are expected to. My marriage and family unit is plenty strong without ONE name.  It does make me wonder how many women say goodbye to their maiden name and feel sad, or really hate the name they feel like they have to take?

Next year my license will expire, so if I change my mind, it would be a good opportunity to make the change over. But at this moment, I'm doubtful if I ever will.

No comments: