Sunday 22 January 2012

Man On Wire

Like the book rut, I've been in a film rut. It's hard for me to watch anything new. I used to try and watch something new every week, and now, lately, I just don't have the energy or motivation. It's sad because I love film. I've DVR'd several movies I've been dying to see (or haven't seen in years) and just haven't watched them.

Last night, I picked Man On Wire to watch. I've been wanting to watch a good documentary, and I had been told years ago (in school) to watch this one. I believe Griff bought it for my birthday 2 years ago. (Honestly, you wouldn't believe the list of films I have that I haven't even watched yet. Bad, Film Student, very Bad!).

It's about a frenchman who is a wire/tight rope walker. Much like you have flash mobs now, he would walk on very large, famous public structures. The World Trade Center was his ultimate goal, that which he wanted to walk more than anything and the film is about how he and his accomplices went about making it happen. Because they couldn't do it legally.

It was breath taking and inspiring.

...It also had a phenomenal soundtrack. Predominately, it used a specific track by Michael Nyman which I recognized immediately because it is used throughout The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover, which is one of my favorite movies EVER. I can not express enough how a good soundtrack enhances a good film watching experience. "Memorial", in particular, is a composition that brings a lump to my throat. It's one of those "heart exploding in your chest" pieces for me. So I will leave that here as well. But please, if you want to watch something that is simply amazing, watch Man On Wire.

No comments: