Friday 2 April 2010

Oreo Cake


 This was without a doubt the most delicious cake I have ever made. I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake and am even less impressed with white chocolate (which is what is in the icing), and with that said, it was still THE BEST CAKE. I'm not one of those cooks/bakers who will shy away from saying if something I make is good. IT WAS GOOD. The picture isn't the best; apologies. I'm including the recipe for any of you out there who want to give it a go. It was sooooooooooooo worth the effort! 



For the Chocolate Cake:

Dark Chocolate Cake
makes two 9-inch round cakes or three 8-inch round cakes

2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans, or three 8-inch round baking pans. (I used 8 inch pans and had enough batter for 4 cakes)

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Mix in boiling water - the batter will be quite thin. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack, then tap the cakes out of the pans. Cool completely before frosting.


For the Icing:

FROSTING:
around 4-6 oz white chocolate

1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar
a couple splashes of milk

Melt chocolate. I usually do this by placing a glass dish in boiling water. It melts more evenly than using a microwave. Meanwhile cream butter. Once chocolate has melted add to butter. Continue to mix at low to medium speed while adding vanilla. Gradually add in milk and sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency.


This wasn't my recipe and I can't take credit for it. I found it on Ohdeedoh.com and I found the frosting website on someone else's blog. It seriously was the tastiest cake I have ever had, or that could just be my prego hormones talking. But it was pretty damned good! 






No comments: